Saturday, November 27, 2010

Magic

Not to be all cheesy or sappy on you here- but Oprah really did say it best.

When wrapping up her final "Favorite Things" show, Oprah said

"It's about knowing that something really magical and joyful and wonderful can happen to you when you least expect it."

I find this to be SO true. That's one of the main reasons I love giving gifts AND receiving them :-)

I love giving gifts. I don't just love giving a gift for the heck of it- I love to find the ultimate gift that will bring about the most amount of surprise.

If someone told me over and over and over how badly they wanted a certain item....THAT would not be the gift that I would want to give.  Because they would almost be EXPECTING it.  Not to say there is not value in that gift.....because it would make them happy.  But the element of surprise is, to me, the best part about gift giving.

I'm not a fan of writing out Christmas wish lists for people.  I'm not a fan of hounding someone for something. If I want something THAT badly- I'll save my money and buy it. 

For instance, even after talking with my sister this past week- we BOTH mentioned that even something as small as a diet dr. pepper can light us up.  If we don't ask for it- but yet someone just brings one to us- because they know we LOVE it- THAT is the element of surprise and love in a gift.

A cup of coffee.....a diet dr. pepper....Really, people??? If you  knew you could light someone up with something so small and cheap as a drink for less than $3....wouldn't you do that more often?

Make it a goal this holiday season to find out what the "favorite things' are of those people in your life that you love and are in relationship/community with. Surprise them. It will mean so much more than that pricey item that you purchased out of obligation.


And. To finish out this blog..... Comment on this blog post with one way you will 'give' this holiday season and your name will be entered in a drawing for one of MY favorite things. I mentioned this CD in my last "STAMP!" post.  Dave Barnes new Christmas CD. :-)

Happy GIVING!

5 comments:

  1. I will GIVE you a hug every time I see you and tell you how much I adore you. The End :) LG

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am planning on giving my assistant ms maria a basket full of goodies for her desk at school so she can have a treat anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am giving a few people in my life little notes of encouragement,scriptures and a cd because I know this holiday season is difficult for them this year. Thanks for being such a giver and encouraging others to do the same! It's contagious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surprising a friend with a gift card to her favorite local coffee shop

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like your blog. it is great. I'll be back on your post hope will get new update.

    Laws of thinking

    ReplyDelete

The one about the next chapter

#MindaOnTheMove 4.5 years ago, I made the “ fifteen minute drive north ” to Washington, DC from Tallahassee, Florida. And yes, if yo...