Tuesday, February 8, 2011

96 and Pregnant

Was reading in Joshua this past week and I might be tempted to say that it is one of my favorite books of the Bible.

And speaking of favorite books of the Bible....I might just have to admit to you all that the Old Testament is my favorite.

Really. I think it is. It's filled with stories of people that I feel as though I can relate to.  I mean- can't YOU relate to a man who had to spend 400 years building an ark?  Can't YOU relate to a woman being 96 years old and being pregnant for the first time? ;-)

Ha.....no. Their circumstances are not what I can relate to- but I feel as though I can relate to them a little bit better than with people in the New Testament. The people in the New Testament- they walked and talked with Jesus...in the PHYSICAL. They saw Him. The people of the Old Testament believed God and His promises....without ever having met Him in the physical. You know?  God may not have appeared to me in a burning bush- but He appeared to me in a REALLY awesome job situation last year. He may not have appeared to me in a cloud....But He's appeared to me in so many quiet moments in my apartment-on my couch- with my coffee in hand.

John 20:29- Jesus is talking to Thomas (the 'doubter'....and ps! can we talk about how depressing that would be to be remembered that way?!) "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

That is you and me, my friend. We have believed without ever PHYSICALLY seeing the scars in His hands.

Ok. So i totally bunny trailed there- but here goes.

Reading in Joshua.

Several times in the book of Joshua (and in the Old Testament in general)- I saw instances of people marking a certain location with a pile of stones. They always made note that "the stones are to be a memorial to the people of Israel." This would typically be a place in which they'd seen God show up in a BIG way for them. They wanted to remember.

Ok- so move with me a little bit to the New Testament.
The book of Luke. Chapter 19 (ok, ok, we moved a LOT- but still)

Verse 28-40- Jesus is about to make His triumphal entry into Jerusalem. A crowd of disciples begin praising God in loud voices saying "Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord. Hosanna"

Some of the Pharisees said to Jesus "Tell them to be quiet!!!"

Jesus said to them "If they keep quiet- the stones will cry out."

Ok. Coming full circle here.  As I was reading in Joshua about all the stone memorials. I thought of this passage in Luke. If we keep quiet...the stones will cry out. 

The stones that are left to mark His faithfulness.  The stones that are left to remind us of His goodness.  The stones that were left to help the people of Israel NEVER forget what God had done.

Friends. Can you imagine? I kinda feel as though my journals are my 'stones' so to speak. They recount time after time after time that God has proved faithful to me. They are my 'markers.' My memorials.

If I'm not sharing of His faithfulness- my journals could very well come to life and start shouting of His faithfulness.

Are you sharing of His faithfulness?  Has He been faithful to you? It's time we start shouting about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The one about the next chapter

#MindaOnTheMove 4.5 years ago, I made the “ fifteen minute drive north ” to Washington, DC from Tallahassee, Florida. And yes, if yo...