Thursday, February 24, 2011

"I'm AWESOME!"

How's THAT for a humble title?? :-)

Last week I took a test called Strength Finders for a class I'm taking at Gateway.  We were to take the test- and then the plan was to come back to class the next week and talk about our #1 strength.

Are any of you familiar with this?  If so- and you've taken the test- I'd love for you to comment on this post and tell me what your top 5 are!!! If you are not- go HERE and find out how to compile your strengths. You will not regret doing this.

I'll tell you my top 5- and then I'll tell you what my first thought was.
  1. Responsibility
  2. Woo (Winning Others Over
  3. Empathy
  4. Communication
  5. Maximizer
So. Here's the deal. When I first read them- I thought to myself- ok, this makes sense. But how are these things STRENGTHS??

With each of them- I knew immediately how each of them could be a BAD thing. I didn't want to get up in front of the class and tell them why my strengths were indeed, BAD things. This is a perfect example of just how smart Satan is. He takes our strengths, and twists them around so that we are not operating in the full extent and ability of our strengths.

 So while I was thinking about them and discussing them with a dear friend, Jan, she was telling me some things about these particular strengths and why they were good- and all of a sudden-I broke into a huge grin and declared "MAN! I'm AWESOME!!!"

Now. You may think to yourself- "geeez! humility's not in your top 5 for a reason!" But let me tell you. When there are parts of WHO YOU ARE- and you've always seen them as bad things- to have someone tell you why they are GOOD things- that is FREEDOM.

Some of these things- I'd never seen them as strengths before. Is that weird?!?

Responsibility is my number 1 strength and here is the description:

People who are especially talented in the Responsibility theme take psychological ownership of what they say they will do. They are committed to stable values such as honesty and loyalty. Driven by your talents, you likely are described by your teammates as someone who keeps promises. People trust you so much they do not keep checking on your progress. They probably have discovered over time that you honor your commitments. Because of your strengths, you consistently work at assignments and chores to their conclusion. People have confidence that you will see whatever you do through to the very end. By nature, you prepare for assignments by reading extensively. Your capacity for pulling together information from books, publications, correspondence, notes, or Internet sites serves you well. Instinctively, you bring an exceptionally mature perspective to your team. Most people regard you as the dependable and reliable one.
Yes. Yes. and YES! There is no denying that this is my #1 Strength.

2 comments:

  1. Minda! I just found this post haha, i creep...dont worry about it! :) we have two of the name strengths!

    Here are mine:
    1)Empathy*
    2)Developer
    3)Includer
    4)Futuristic
    5)Woo*

    ReplyDelete