Tuesday, March 15, 2011

ridin dirty

I know, I know.  That is a horrible title for a blog post. :-)

BUT!  I felt it appropriate considering that I truly HAVE been driving a VERY dirty car around since the ice storm back in January/February. Since the ice storm- almost every day has had a period of time in which the clouds would cover the sky- grey and ominous and I'd think- eh- it's about to rain....so I won't wash my car yet.

7 weeks later- I'd still not washed my car and it was pathetic.

I finally took it yesterday though a car wash and then parked outside of Target as I had to run in and get a few things.

When I came outside- I couldn't find my car.

I looked, looked, and looked some more and could not find it.  I pulled out my keys and hit the button to unlock it- also signaling a beep and lights flashing. I kid you not. I was standing RIGHT NEXT to my car. I KNEW where I had parked.  But I did not recognize my car. '...then I came to my senses....'

How pathetic.

But here it comes....you know it's coming.  The Cheezy Minda Analogy.  Let's face it. You know the only reason you come and read this blog (to my 4 readers) is because there will most likely be a cheezy analogy...and you can laugh! So wait no more. Here it is!
Matthew 15:17 "....when he came to his senses, he said 'how many of my fathers hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired men.' So he got up and went to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him, and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him."
Now. I know this analogy is a stretch- but I thought about this son. (hang with me!) He was filthy. He was LIVING in filth.  With pigs. He was covered in filth.  So much so that he just thought it was normal.

but that phrase....'when he came to his senses..."

Yesterday- I just was so fed up with how filthy my car was and got up and did something about it.

So often- when we are living in filth- we don't even realize that it's filth.  We just accept it for what it is.

I know for sure there are areas of my heart that have been covered in filth....And I've just been living with it because it's easy. But this year. I'm praying for moments in which I 'come to my senses...' and get up and deal with areas of my heart that need to be cleaned up. 

I'm SOOOOO far from perfect.  But the good news is- there is only one thing required of me.  That is to get up.....come to my senses....ADMIT there is filth...and take it to the ONLY Place that can make it clean.

This morning- the drive was absolutely incredible. I think I looked at my side mirrors more than I did the road.  I was so amazed at how clean they were. How shiny everything was. All I could think was "I HAD NO IDEA IT WAS THAT DIRTY!"

So I drove to work with a smile on my face.

He makes all things new.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The one about Jaryn

The year was 2011. I needed a job and m y friend Grace was aware of this. I received a call from Grace and she said, “How do you fe...