Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Princess Bride

"A dream is a wish your heart makes...When you're fast asleep. In dreams you will lose your heartaches- whatever you wish for you keep. Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through- No matter how your heart is grieving if you keep on believing- The dream that you wish will come true."
I grew up believing those lyrics.

For those of us that were born in the 80's- I consider us the 'princess' generation. When we were little girls- we were introduced to new characters. Ariel, from the Little Mermaid, came into existence when I was 5 years old. Belle, from Beauty and the Beast, when I was 7 years old. Jasmine, from Aladdin, when I was 8 years old. Pocahontas and Mulan followed a couple years later.

This past week- with the Royal Wedding of Kate and Prince William- I've heard SO many people lash out with negative comments about the Royal Wedding. Asking why it's such a big deal...saying that there are more important things happening in the news...etc.

First of all. Why is it such a big deal? Because Kate Middleton is the first person I've ever seen that is TRULY experiencing the dream that had been in my heart for over 20 years.  A common girl. Winning the heart of the handsome Prince. Having the wedding of the century. Wearing a TRUE princess wedding dress. With royalty in attendance.

In the Disney movies- we see the story of how they meet/fall in love- and the story ends with a kiss and the dream of the wedding to be. Friends- I finally got to SEE the wedding.  Not only was I watching the wedding of Prince William and Kate...I was watching the wedding of Ariel...of Belle....of Jasmine.  I KNOW this must sound corny to some of you- but you have no idea.  It TRULY has always just been a dream. We've never seen it lived out.

I was having dinner with my friend the night before the wedding and I was telling her what I had envisioned the dress would be. It was the biggest kept secret of the wedding....No one was going to know what the dress looked like until she stepped out at Westminster Abbey. I described to Stephanie what I thought it would look like....The princess dress I've always envisioned. 

I kid you not. The dress was EXACTLY as imagined it would be. The sleeves...the lace.  Exactly.

Yes. There are MANY terrible things happening in the world. Earthquakes, tsunamis, and most recently- devastating tornadoes that swept across the South part of the US taking the lives of more than 300 people. Devastating.

To be honest with you- My heart NEEDED some fun news like a royal wedding. I'm SOOO saddened every time I turn on the news. While I'm not ignoring the fact that devastating events had just taken place- I'm saying that the Royal Wedding was good timing for my heart. It was nice to turn on the TV and see excitement.

For the princess dream that has lived inside of my heart for 22 years....It was satisfied this weekend.

"....for the dream that you wish....will. come. true."

5 comments:

  1. She was a stunning bride, as you will be : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. i watched it with 5 ladies from 5 different countries of all different ages...and everyone was just as excited as you were...it was few hours of joy and excitement for all of us. and the Princess..absolutely beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And this is why I love you! Honest, real, and a soon to be princess!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rereading this blog post. and your comment. and I just love you.

      Delete
  4. @Esther.... ahhhh friend. as will YOU.
    @Dania- that is SO fun!!! What a mix of cultural all gathered around for ONE wedding :-)
    @Christian. ah friend. I love you.

    ReplyDelete

The one about the next chapter

#MindaOnTheMove 4.5 years ago, I made the “ fifteen minute drive north ” to Washington, DC from Tallahassee, Florida. And yes, if yo...