Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I called...You answered.

This time last week I was boxing up all my belongings and making sure they were all taped up and in order- ready for the move this past weekend.  Let’s first say….I’ve moved a LOT in the past 9 years. My poor, poor, dad.  Maybe I should say…his poor poor back.

Either way- the past couple of moves I’ve had- I’ve been AMAZINGLY blessed to have a crew of friends that were willing to come and help get all my stuff moved.

Well. As I was approaching this move- I hesitated in sending a text message asking for help. And here’s the crazy reason why: I KNEW people would help! Let’s be honest. NO ONE likes to move.  Especially in Texas. In JUNE. NO one. And my friends are so amazing that I knew if I texted them- they would come through and say yes.

But I felt so weighted down with the knowledge that it would be a hassle. An inconvenience. For so many. I don’t like that feeling.  So I didn’t text anyone.

I put up a notice on Facebook and Twitter- but nothing personal- directly TO anyone.

So. At this point- I’ve decided what I will do. I will move everything MYSELF on Saturday- as much as I can- with my car- making trip after trip after trip. Then Sunday- when dad comes with the big Uhaul- I would only need his help with the big items (washer/dryer/couches/bed).

The stress of what was about to happen was weighing on me. In a BIG way. I wasn’t sleeping well. I knew what was coming. And I was NOT looking forward to it.

On Thursday night- I’d just turned out the light to go to bed when I get a notification that someone had mentioned me on twitter. I open it up to see that my friend had said he could help out!

I was SOOOOOOOOOO relieved! In a SECOND- I felt about 20lbs lifted off my shoulders.  All I could think prior to this was “oooh my goodness- how am I going to help dad carry a washer and dryer?!?!”

But with my friend offering to help- I knew he’d be able to help dad!  He also said “Don’t worry about renting a dolly! I’ve got one of those too!”

I can’t tell you how much that meant to me. To that friend. Really. You are a stellar guy and your offer was SO generous! It meant the world to me.

So- I laid down to go to bed when my phone rings.  Another friend was calling and we chatted for a bit. After a bit, he said “Minda- it’s been on my mind all day to do this- but I want to help you find some movers!”

I said “WOW! That would be awesome…I can use all the hands I can get!”
He responded with “Minda….no, I want to pay to have some movers come and take care of it FOR you so that you don’t have to do it. I want to be as stress-free of a move for you as possible.”

Insert Silence….

I finally spoke and all I could say was “You have got to be kidding.”

He assured me that he’d been thinking about it and really felt as though this was something he wanted to do.

Let me back up a little bit for you to earlier in the day.

I was driving to Arlington to deliver some cake pops for a graduation party when I was kind of laying some things out for the Lord.  Telling Him how frustrated I was about having to move…Telling Him that I really didn’t appreciate THIS part of singleness…..the roommate after roommate after roommate…. And in addition- laid out a couple other things for him. I said to Him “I just wish I didn’t have to bother my friends! I wish I was strong enough to do this on my own!”

Not even 4 hours later is when I got the phone call from my friend offering to pay for movers.

To the friend (you know who you are) that responded on Twitter- your willingness to help out was an answered prayer from just a few hours prior.

To the friend that covered the expenses of movers coming and taking care of my move (you know who you are)…. You made this the best move I’ve had in 9 years. Words won’t ever express to you how much of an answered prayer you were.

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.”

4 comments:

  1. I love more. Well, my Back does. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I got to witness all that happen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Laura- :-) me too!
    @Dad- ha. exactly!
    @Emily- i am SOOOO glad you were there to witness it toooo!

    ReplyDelete