Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Trickery

I heard someone say a couple years ago "We are so often tempted to blame the devil for what is acutally just LIFE." For instance- something happens to our car and causes a huge bill.....We'll say "the enemy is just attacking." No, that's life. Things happen to our cars. Or, for instance- we have horrible traffic on our way to work, in addition- spilling our coffee all over ourself and our car, and then get stopped by a cop on the way to work. We like to blame the devil. No. That's not the devil. We should have left for work earlier- put a lid on our coffee, and drove the speed limit.

When I heard statement for the first time- I'm not gonna lie- It made me a bit edgy...I liked blaming the devil for crappy days. I didn't want somone to take that excuse away from me.

But honestly- the more I thought about it- the more it rang true.

This morning, however, I feel as though I got more clarity in regards to this idea.

The past 3 months have been incredible. I feel as though I finally took an area of my life that the devil had been targeting for YEARS and found victory. Seriously. For YEARS- an area of my heart had been an open target for the devil to come in and wreck havoc. 3 months ago- that changed. I realized what was going on- I called it for what it was- and made the necessary changes to make sure that area of my heart was not left unprotected.

Well. Satan was all to quick to move to another area. An area in which I thought I was doing well!  An area in which I thought I was trusting the Lord in . An area that I had no reason to be afraid.  Yeah- he slipped on in and started to wreck havoc THERE.  And I'm frustrated to say that it DID take me a week or 2 to realize what was going on- but here's what I realized this morning.

Those things that I mentioned at the beginning of the blog that we blame on the devil (the car issues, the spilled coffee, the driving ticket).... I don't think the devil is sitting around thinking "Hmmmm I want to screw up her car!" or "Hmmm. I want to have THIS cop purposefully pull her over this morning"...I think he could care less if our car works or if we get a ticket. But what he DOES want is for our attitude to be affected. He wants to alter our mood so that we are in no way bringing glory to God with our actions/words.

Something happens to our car causing a bill that is unexpected...He slips in and begins to feed us lies of "See...you don't have enough money for that. The Lord really isn't providing for you. You can't trust Him with your finances." We then begin to doubt....and lose trust. We get pulled over by the cop adding to that bill we can't take care of. "See. If God knew about your finances- He'd have allowed you to slip by that cop without getting stopped. Cause He knows you can't take care of that bill." Trust continues to disappear. We begin to doubt the Lord. Putting us exactly where the devil wants us.

Was reading this morning when the Lord kind of gave me a new version of this verse.

Isaiah 43:2 (the Minda version is in parentheses)
When you pass through the waters,

I will be with you;
(when LIFE happens- I'm still with you)
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
(When you get that unexpected bill- it won't put you under)
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.
(When life seems to be falling apart and the devil does his best to make you believe I've deserted you- I will NOT allow him to win)


Where my heart had been at peace- it was filled with fear. Where my heart had been confident- I was now uncertain. And all it took to change this was calling it for what it was.  Life is just happening. And the devil was wanting to make my heart/mind react.

I don't want to react to what's happening. I want my attitude and countenance to be the same in hard times and easier times.

2 comments:

  1. My personal favorite was the example of "you have $500 to last until payday and you buy a $400 TV and then say the enemy is attacking when you don't have enough for gas to get by. That's not the enemy, that's simple math!" Love this post, I often hold close 2 Cor 10:5 and "take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ". Because truly, our thoughts are the first and often most vulnerable place for the enemy to attack. Thank you for sharing, this is good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness, girl! i haven't been on blogs in FOREVER... but tonight after blogging a "catch-up" post, i headed over here to see what's up... and wow! this post slapped me right upside my head! praise God! i needed to hear this... bad. i have been TOTALLY letting my circumstances affect my mood! i, too "don't want to react to what's happening. I want my attitude and countenance to be the same in hard times and easier times"! thank you for sharing! you amaze me and i am blessed by you.

    ReplyDelete