Wednesday, July 13, 2011

My Word

A friend asked on twitter last week "What is one word that describes you?"

I responded with "Faithful," feeling as though that is a word that best sums me up.

I felt pretty confident in that word....thinking it was a GOOD word to use to describe myself.

That is...until I read this:

Excerpt from Mark Buchanan’s’ book- The Holy Wild

Philip Yancey writes:

“I remember my first visit to Old Faithful in Yellowstone National Park. Rings of Japanese and German tourists surrounded the geyser, their video cameras trained like weapons on the famous hole in the ground. A large digital clock stood beside the spot, predicting 24 minutes before the next eruption.

My wife and I passed the countdown in the dining room of Old Faithful Inn overlooking the geyser. When the digital clock reached one minute, we, along with every other diner, left our seats and rushed to the windows to see the big, wet event.

I noticed immediately, as if on signal, a crew of busboys and waiters descended on the tables to refill water glasses and clear away dirty dishes. When the geyser went off, we tourists oohed and aahed and clicked our cameras; a few spontaneously applauded. But, glancing back over my shoulder, I saw that not a single waiter or busboy- not even those who had finished their chores- looked out the huge windows. Old Faithful, grown entirely too familiar, had lost its power to impress them.”
In both creation and relationships, faithfulness is the most amazing yet least captivating trait. It is one quality- in the cosmos, in God, in others- that we can’t live without, but that we don’t much live with, either, mindful of it, thankful for it.

If we call a car faithful, we mean it’s functional, not fast, and not flashy. It’s drab and boxy, an old dray horse. Faithfulness is not only boring. In some contexts, it’s almost embarrassing.
I COMPLETELY understand what Mark is saying here. I really do. He goes on to describe how Faithfulness is one of God's most divine characteristics.  I would agree.

But.

I wonder sometimes if faithfulness in those around us goes unnoticed far to often....because it seems 'boring...not fast....not flashy." I would say I'm not flashy...not fast. And maybe boring sometimes. But I do know that if I were to stop being faithful- people would notice. You know?

Thoughts? I'd love to hear yours. Do you think faithfulness in those around you is boring? Do you, like the busboys at the Old Faithful Inn, just stop noticing and taking it in?

2 comments:

  1. I wrote my paper for my Systematic Theology class on the the faithfulness of God. A fellow student contended, "Shouldn't you then write on the righteousness, the perfectness of God that begat His faithfulness?"

    My response is, "True, but his faithfulness is something very tangible to me. I know my God is incapable of breaking his promises. Whereas I have been unfaithful, He has always been faithful because he cannot deny himself."

    Faithfulness boring? Not edgy enough? Try pairing faithfulness of God with the loveliness of God and then try calling it boring.

    Likewise, when a person is faithful, I will rejoice in the Lord because He is the one who gave us that faith (Romans 12:3, Hebrews 12:2). That to me is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faithful is a great word to describe you! If God was not faithful, we would not know what to expect from Him. Thank you for what you do! ;)

    -Osame

    ReplyDelete

The one about Jaryn

The year was 2011. I needed a job and m y friend Grace was aware of this. I received a call from Grace and she said, “How do you fe...