Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The one where I'd been tricked

Reading in Isaiah the last few days and this verse shown in the graphic happens to be one of those 'reward' verses. You know, if you can make it through the doom and gloom of the first 30 chapters, you get a happy verse.

It continues with "They will soar on wings like eagles; they'll run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." (Isaiah 40:31) What's not great about that?! This verse, to me, has been a "make-you-feel-good-with-warm-fuzzys" kind of verse.

This morning while reading, I thought to myself, "I've been tricked!" As the years have passed (and believe me...many have passed), I've grown to realize this verse isn't as 'easy' as it sounds. To hope is to expect with confidence; to desire with anticipation.

If you're anything like me, you've probably placed hope in things or people that have let you down. You've probably placed hope in dreams or ideas of things that might happen. You may have placed hope in your job, your bank account, or yourself, even. And when we're let down- the opposite of strength happens. We're weak, deflated, and probably miserable. And then we just decide to stop hoping all together. We think this 'hope' business is crap and not worth our time. But all the while, not realizing we've just been placing our hope in the wrong thing.

So. Any of those three words describing you this week? Weak, deflated, miserable? I'd say they described me the past couple weeks. Might want to do a check to see where hope is being placed. If in the Lord- we're promised strength. And He keeps His promises. THAT, I do know.



1 comment:

The one about the next chapter

#MindaOnTheMove 4.5 years ago, I made the “ fifteen minute drive north ” to Washington, DC from Tallahassee, Florida. And yes, if yo...