Skip to main content

The one after a long hiatus

 It's been a while. 3.5 years, actually. 

And I've been itching to write. So here I am. 

The last time I wrote, I was 7 months into my Michigan time and it was hard. But I wasn't scared. The challenge didn't scare me. Michigan was the right move-- I never doubted that-- not for a second. But it was a hard move for me. There was never a year that was easy while in Michigan. I had lovely times and there were bright spots, for sure. But Michigan wasn't home, as much as I tried to make it be. 

And then a pandemic hit. And then I needed knee surgery. Followed by another surgery three months later. While living alone. 

I won't go into the details of just how hard the year was for the purposes of this post... maybe another time. 

But I will say, October 2020 was the beginning of the end for me in Michigan. I was not the Minda you know. I was not myself. I was so alone. I didn't like the person I had become and I didn't know how to change things. Until December. I was on an all-staff call when they told us we'd be staying at home for at least another six months and I broke down. Scrambling for the camera button to turn my video off, I sat in my apartment alone and sobbed until I couldn't breathe. 

I knew I had to make a change. 

That change turned into loading up my car with things I could potentially need for six months and put everything else in storage. I was getting out of Michigan on a hunt for home. 

DC would be my first stop. It was the perfect place for me to go after Michigan. I was with friends and babies and church family. I was in familiar spaces with people who knew my story. 

Next was Seattle with family. I was loved on and made to feel like the most amazing gal in the world. Cousins waking up every morning super early to make me coffee and work with me while I stayed on an East Coast time schedule. 

Then came Greenville, SC. To be honest, I thought I'd land here. Prior to this stop, I guessed Greenville would be the place for me. Close to family... Close to the lake. And it was a nice stop in the adventure. But it wasn't home. My friend Tim came to visit me while on this stop and he said, "This is nice." But it lacked something. 

At the end of my time in Greenville, I kept hearing a city pop up in conversation that hadn't really been an option. Charlotte. I was planning to head to the lake, then Florida would be next...followed by Texas and Arizona. 

But the last few days I was in Greenville, I received word that a condo would be made available to me in Charlotte. I had very few connections in Charlotte, had never visited the city, and didn't really know why I would try it out, other than I was on an adventure and the whole world was at my feet. 

I spent several weeks at the lake and made a Sunday afternoon visit to Charlotte to see the condo and check out the area. I was sold. I could do Charlotte for a month. 

On May 1, I arrived in Charlotte and very quickly knew something was different about this place. Within 24 hours, I'd attended a new church, had lunch with people after, and attended a dinner party with eight women all in their 30's.

After three weeks, I wrote in my journal: I've been here three weeks and I have not once wondered where my next stop will be. Charlotte feels easy and peaceful. Should I look at houses here? That feels impossible. But I'm open. 

After one month, I wrote: One month in Charlotte. One month of complete peace and full of surprise. Suprised at the community I have found. Surprised at how 'right' this place feels. Surprised at how connected I feel. I like Charlottte.

Today marks six months in Charlotte. And I am in my home that I bought. And last night I had friends around my table for a meal. 

I never envisioned this being my story. Charlotte was never on my radar. And I'm wildly aware of how Jesus has been faithful to direct my steps. And I feel really good. It feels good to feel good. 



Comments

  1. I love that you've found a home. I love the place you picked to be home. I love your home. And I love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you have championed me throughout this whole adventure. so thankful for you.

      Delete
  2. As much I miss you, it brings happy tears to my eyes reading this seeing how Jesus took care of you. I'm glad I got to love on you and know you in your time here, but I'm SO glad you are happy, have people and have a place that feels like home. Love you friend

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ten. Years.

Grew up in a small town - And when the rain would fall down - I'd just stare out my window - Dreaming of what could be - And if I'd end up happy - I would pray Trying hard to reach out - But when I tried to speak out - Felt like no one could hear me - Wanted to belong here - But something felt so wrong here - So I prayed I could break away I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly - I'll do what it takes til' I touch the sky - I'll make a wish - Take a chance - Make a change - And breakaway - Out of the darkness and into the sun - But I won't forget all the ones that I love - I'll take a risk - Take a chance - Make a change - And breakaway ( Kelly Clarkson, Breakaway ) 10 years ago, this month, I graduated from Prairiland High School. (And yes, I spelled that right- according to our school, anyways.) At times I can't really wrap my mind around that particular thought...Then at other times, it feels as though it could have been 20

Saturday Morning

I have a play list on my iPod titled "Saturday Morning Cleaning." When my sisters and I were growing up, Saturday morning was spent cleaning. No questions asked. Bottom line. Purple suit and all. Oh wait. You don't know about the purple suit. I'll explain further down. We'd get to sleep in until mom and dad deemed enough, at which point they would turn on the stereo system and play praise and worship music and come wake us up. Mom or dad would have cooked us a breakfast of either pancakes, eggs, waffles, bacon, or breakfast tacos (a treat, considering M-F was normally cereal, oatmeal, etc) and on the table would be "The List" Sometimes we'd get "The List" before breakfast and sometimes after. Because, really....who wants to ruin a perfectly good breakfast with "The List." (I have to interject, even as I'm writing this...I'm just remembering how incredible my childhood was. Seriously. I had the best childhood a

Opening a Conversation

I'd like to open a conversation with you. I've read 2 articles recently that have got me thinking. And a blog is one way to open a conversation that invites response, yes? So here goes. If you leave a comment- make sure to click the button that says "email follow up responses" so you can stay part of the convo. (I know, blogspot needs to get better about this, but for now- just click the box.) Here is article number 1: http://www.relevantmagazine.com/digital-issue/53?page=66 Here is article number 2: http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/27/why-young-christians-arent-waiting-anymore/ There is a new show coming up on TLC called something like "The Virgin Diaries" or something. I have to say. I've watched the preview clips and it is mortifying and embarrassing. If I were 15 and watching- I'd say "Find me the closest guy and let's get it on!" in attempts to not let that be my story. They have made the clips downright horrifyi