Skip to main content

Ten. Years.

Grew up in a small town - And when the rain would fall down - I'd just stare out my window - Dreaming of what could be - And if I'd end up happy - I would pray

Trying hard to reach out - But when I tried to speak out - Felt like no one could hear me - Wanted to belong here - But something felt so wrong here - So I prayed I could break away

I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly - I'll do what it takes til' I touch the sky - I'll make a wish - Take a chance - Make a change - And breakaway - Out of the darkness and into the sun - But I won't forget all the ones that I love - I'll take a risk - Take a chance - Make a change - And breakaway
(Kelly Clarkson, Breakaway)
10 years ago, this month, I graduated from Prairiland High School. (And yes, I spelled that right- according to our school, anyways.) At times I can't really wrap my mind around that particular thought...Then at other times, it feels as though it could have been 20 years ago. 

As I watched the season finale of Glee, I will admit. I cried. A particular conversation between 2 characters had me hit pause and think for a bit. One of the girls, Quinn, was saying how someone had written in her yearbook "Don't ever change!"

That same phrase was written in my yearbook as well. Several times. 

I'm glad I didn't listen to their advice. 

Because I allowed myself to change, I am the woman I am today. 

When I walked across the stage at my high school graduation, I'm proud to say I did it with honors, barely. :-) I was 7th in my class of 70. Making me a part of the top 10%. Barely. And top 10% in Texas gets automatic acceptance into the state college of their choice. 

When I left high school, I was a naive, awkward, dressing wayyyy-too-old-for-her-age- girl who needed some life experience only to be offered in places other than East Texas. And I'm not kidding about dressing too old. Some of the girls that ended up being my best friends throughout my college experience even told me how during Freshman orientation, they remembered seeing me but thought I was someone's mom. I'm not kidding. Praise the Lord, my sense of style and fashion has changed.

When I left high school, I thought I would go to college, get my nursing degree, meet the man of my dreams, and start having babies. 

None of those things have happened. My dreams have changed (and are STILL changing).

When I left high school I had rose colored glasses on. I thought as long as you were obedient and made Jesus happy - life would be smooth sailing.

Those glasses are gone. My view of life has changed. 

When I left high school, I knew who Jesus was and loved Him. 

I know Him more today and love Him more today than I ever thought possible in High School.

My heart has changed. 

I have changed. 

And I'm glad. 

I'm glad I grew up in East Texas. I'm glad I have roots there. I wouldn't change that. 

I'm glad I attended the college I did. Even if I didn't get the degree I'd planned on. The people I met there during that time were worth every second.

I'm glad I stayed in Dallas after graduating. I know it was right. 

I'm glad I moved to Florida 7 months ago. I know it was right. 

The last 10 years of my life have been full. They have been FULL. I have lived life to the best of my ability. I have changed.....for the better. 



I've heard it said - That people come into our lives for a reason - Bringing something we must learn - And we are led - To those who help us most to grow - If we let them - And we help them in return - Well, I don't know if I believe that's true - But I know I'm who I am today - 
Because I knew you

Like a comet pulled from orbit - As it passes a sun - Like a stream that meets a boulder - Halfway through the wood - Who can say if I've been changed for the better? - But because I knew you - I have been changed for good











Comments

  1. This post made me tear up a bit. I love who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES. I love your life, Minda Corso. Thankful for you--and thankful that you allowed your life, your heart, and your STYLE to change : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Laura- I thought of YOU when I posted the Wicked song lyrics :-)

    @Esther- hahahah.....SO glad my style changed ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may not know the "Minda" of the past, but I am so thankful for the oppurtunity to know the "Minda" of the present. Love who YOU are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I know who YOU are your family are as well :-)

      Delete
  5. She's been pretty special at EVERY stage of her growth. Just sayin :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to laugh when I read about your sense of style first year of college! I still remember what you were wearing the first time I met you at the cornerstone! :) ha! Love ya girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure how I missed responding to this comment, but a year later, here I am! What WAS i wearing??? That cracks me up that you know!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Saturday Morning

I have a play list on my iPod titled "Saturday Morning Cleaning." When my sisters and I were growing up, Saturday morning was spent cleaning. No questions asked. Bottom line. Purple suit and all. Oh wait. You don't know about the purple suit. I'll explain further down. We'd get to sleep in until mom and dad deemed enough, at which point they would turn on the stereo system and play praise and worship music and come wake us up. Mom or dad would have cooked us a breakfast of either pancakes, eggs, waffles, bacon, or breakfast tacos (a treat, considering M-F was normally cereal, oatmeal, etc) and on the table would be "The List" Sometimes we'd get "The List" before breakfast and sometimes after. Because, really....who wants to ruin a perfectly good breakfast with "The List." (I have to interject, even as I'm writing this...I'm just remembering how incredible my childhood was. Seriously. I had the best childhood a

Opening a Conversation

I'd like to open a conversation with you. I've read 2 articles recently that have got me thinking. And a blog is one way to open a conversation that invites response, yes? So here goes. If you leave a comment- make sure to click the button that says "email follow up responses" so you can stay part of the convo. (I know, blogspot needs to get better about this, but for now- just click the box.) Here is article number 1: http://www.relevantmagazine.com/digital-issue/53?page=66 Here is article number 2: http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/27/why-young-christians-arent-waiting-anymore/ There is a new show coming up on TLC called something like "The Virgin Diaries" or something. I have to say. I've watched the preview clips and it is mortifying and embarrassing. If I were 15 and watching- I'd say "Find me the closest guy and let's get it on!" in attempts to not let that be my story. They have made the clips downright horrifyi