Skip to main content

The one where she referenced Friends

It's true. I reference Friends ALL the time. It's a shame.

I need to start working on NOT making this a common conversation starter: "Ooooh so this episode when Chandler..." Or "Ooooh reminds me of when Phoebe..."

Seriously.

But once I started thinking about it, I realize why I do that.

If I say to people in Tallahassee "Ohhh so my friend Helen was teaching a yoga class when..." they will have NO idea. They don't know Helen. They won't be able to enjoy the story.

Or if I were to say "So this one time my friend Micah had the great idea to have a fruit derby"....or "That one time my friend Hailey got a bag of pinto beans rather than a CAN of pinto beans..."

But there's a greater chance that the people in Tally MIGHT know what I'm talking about if I mention an episode of Friends.

But I'm calling it right now. It's gotten out of hand. I'm going to work on that! Promise :-)

But if I were in Dallas, here are a few subjects I could bring up and 100 different people would know EXACTLY what I was talking about:


  • Elisa's birthday at Houstons (this was my very first 'event' with Gateway people)
  • The toga party!
  • FLAG FOOTBALL. 
  • Dallas Symphony- Disney style!
  • The A-Top hip hop party
  • ROOV Events out the wazooo!
  • The one with the "One Night Stand"
  • New Year's Eve FRESH....Need I say more?!
  • The July 3rd party at the Simpsons!
  • The cupcake party awkwardly infused with the "man night" making for one of the most awkward moments in history
  • The dinner in Dallas where the restaurant thought we were bringing THE Ashlee Simpson. 
  • The brunch at Breadwinners
  • Ultimate Frisbee
  • NIGHT frisbee
  • Spades Nights!
  • Building 1000 bikes!
  • The KitchenAid Birthday surprise
  • Broomball!
  • The infamous Float the River trip with ROOV and others
  • Rangers game and afterwards watching Michael Phelps set the world record for most gold medals
  • Christmas movie nights at the Speakman's thanks to Josh and Helen
  • Christmas movie night tradition being continued at Minda and Helen's...Then Minda and Hailey's....Then Minda and Rachel's!
  • The ugly Christmas sweater party at the Lee's where one of the gifts was a personally signed Pastor Robert book telling whoever received the book that they are one of the most influential people in his life
  • New Year's Eve Masquerade Ball!
  • Fruit Derby
  • The New Year's Day party AFTER the New Year's Eve Party at the Guy's apartment in Las Colinas
  • Christmas breakfast at Brooke's 
  • Valentine's Day Dinners
  • The game of Things. Ooooh the awkwardness. (cough cough- ROSS)
  • The Crazy Awesome Trip to Austin for Keegan's Surprise Party!
  • Pool Parties
  • The Weddings....Dancing all. night. long.
  • The travelling football parties. 
  • FANTASY FOOTBALL. amen.
  • And then there was the Goodbye party.
To anyone in Tallahassee- this post will mean nothing to you. To those in Dallas- leave a comment and tell me which of these things you remember as well!

Comments

  1. The toga party!
    FLAG FOOTBALL.
    ROOV Events out the wazooo!
    The one with the "One Night Stand"
    Ultimate Frisbee
    Building 1000 bikes!
    The KitchenAid Birthday surprise
    Christmas movie nights at the Speakman's thanks to Josh and Helen
    Christmas movie night tradition being continued at Minda and Helen's...Then Minda and Hailey's....Then Minda and Rachel's!
    The ugly Christmas sweater party at the Lee's where one of the gifts was a personally signed Pastor Robert book telling whoever received the book that they are one of the most influential people in his life
    Fruit Derby
    Pool Parties
    The Weddings....Dancing all. night. long.
    The travelling football parties.
    FANTASY FOOTBALL. amen.
    And then there was the Goodbye party.


    WOW. WOW. WOW. SOOooooo many memories!
    LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of them... I remember all of them. Makes me thankful for our friends. We have had something that no one else in the world has ever had. I'm so glad you recounted these memories. These are the memories that have made us all grow closer and near and dear in each others hearts. Our lives are changing now...we're moving, moving on, getting new jobs, buying houses, having children, and yet when we still see each other after maybe weeks or months of not speaking, it's just like we know that we know each other. And it doesn't quite matter that we haven't talked, we still know that we are all connected, just as we were with these memories. Dang we need a family reunion! ok group hug everybody! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ten. Years.

Grew up in a small town - And when the rain would fall down - I'd just stare out my window - Dreaming of what could be - And if I'd end up happy - I would pray Trying hard to reach out - But when I tried to speak out - Felt like no one could hear me - Wanted to belong here - But something felt so wrong here - So I prayed I could break away I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly - I'll do what it takes til' I touch the sky - I'll make a wish - Take a chance - Make a change - And breakaway - Out of the darkness and into the sun - But I won't forget all the ones that I love - I'll take a risk - Take a chance - Make a change - And breakaway ( Kelly Clarkson, Breakaway ) 10 years ago, this month, I graduated from Prairiland High School. (And yes, I spelled that right- according to our school, anyways.) At times I can't really wrap my mind around that particular thought...Then at other times, it feels as though it could have been 20

Saturday Morning

I have a play list on my iPod titled "Saturday Morning Cleaning." When my sisters and I were growing up, Saturday morning was spent cleaning. No questions asked. Bottom line. Purple suit and all. Oh wait. You don't know about the purple suit. I'll explain further down. We'd get to sleep in until mom and dad deemed enough, at which point they would turn on the stereo system and play praise and worship music and come wake us up. Mom or dad would have cooked us a breakfast of either pancakes, eggs, waffles, bacon, or breakfast tacos (a treat, considering M-F was normally cereal, oatmeal, etc) and on the table would be "The List" Sometimes we'd get "The List" before breakfast and sometimes after. Because, really....who wants to ruin a perfectly good breakfast with "The List." (I have to interject, even as I'm writing this...I'm just remembering how incredible my childhood was. Seriously. I had the best childhood a

Opening a Conversation

I'd like to open a conversation with you. I've read 2 articles recently that have got me thinking. And a blog is one way to open a conversation that invites response, yes? So here goes. If you leave a comment- make sure to click the button that says "email follow up responses" so you can stay part of the convo. (I know, blogspot needs to get better about this, but for now- just click the box.) Here is article number 1: http://www.relevantmagazine.com/digital-issue/53?page=66 Here is article number 2: http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/27/why-young-christians-arent-waiting-anymore/ There is a new show coming up on TLC called something like "The Virgin Diaries" or something. I have to say. I've watched the preview clips and it is mortifying and embarrassing. If I were 15 and watching- I'd say "Find me the closest guy and let's get it on!" in attempts to not let that be my story. They have made the clips downright horrifyi