Skip to main content

She Is Happy Now

I love my job. I can't express that enough. The first 3 months of being here in Florida I have been working to learn the organization, learn what we do, why we do it, and why it is important.
To this point I've been learning all this information from our own perspective. I've not heard any negative feedback in regards to our work. I've not heard the opposing side.
Until yesterday.

Working in social media my job is to open the conversation with supporters....and others.

Yesterday I was SLAMMED with negative comments online. Most of them were from one person, but still.

The pressure hit me of "whoa. An I ready for this?!" I text my old boss in Dallas and told him that 'to date, this had probably been the toughest day for my work.' In my last job I responded to people about the Bible and Beth Moore teachings. I responded and interacted on a subject I know a lot about. Even if there were weird people, or people who hated Jesus and/or Beth Moore, it was not much of a problem. I was confident enough in my knowledge of the subjects at hand to know how to respond.

Brandon asked "Do you believe in the organization you are working for?" I do. I REALLY do believe in what we do.

But haven't had to defend it to this point.  Believing in something and defending it are two different ballgames.

This could launch me into a whole other blog post about knowing enough to defend your stance in regards to the Gospel. Do you know what you believe? Enough to defend it to someone who would try to tear apart your belief?  ....but I won't get into that.  But something to think about.

Either way.
I was talking with another coworker asking her opinion and explaining the situation. She was so incredibly helpful in drafting a response to these particular people NOT in favor of our organization. Mary Laura was amazing. Seriously. She could tell it was weighing on me and was able to help out in the most perfect way.

This morning I got to work and was headed down the hallway when Mary Laura stopped me and said "Minda I have something for you."

I stepped into her office and this is what she said to me:

Yesterday I picked up Maggie (her daughter, 3 years old) from preschool. I asked her how her day was and what she did. She said "I danced today!" I asked what she danced to and Maggie said "I danced to Jesus Loves Me!" Of course you did, Maggie! Maggie then proceeded to ask me how MY day 'at school' was. I responded to her with 'my day was pretty good....but I have a coworker who had a sad day. It was a hard day.'  Maggie asked "Why was it hard?' I said "She had to do something new today at work and it was hard....You know when you have to learn something new at school and it's hard?" Maggie understood.

A little while later Maggie came to me with a piece of paper.


I asked Maggie what this was and she said "this is your sad coworker....But she is happy now."
So Mary Laura gave me this picture this morning and of course I couldn't help the tears forming in my eyes and dropping down my face. To know that a 3-year-old precious little girl was thinking about me and didn't want me to be sad so decided to draw me a picture was by far one of the most precious things I've ever experienced. Seriously.

This picture will be hung in my office and will stay here as long as I have an office here. So incredibly touched today that the Lord would choose to show His love for me through the drawing of a 3 year old girl named Maggie.

Comments

  1. Minda,

    For sensitive, caring people (and you certainly are one of those) criticism is very hard. But those critics are really your best friends. Dealing with jerks is not fun, but it makes us think through our positions, refine our arguments, find a solid place to stand on truth, and learn to stiffen our spines for the next battle. Most of the doctrine of the church--the deity of Christ, the inerrency of scripture, salvation by grace alone through faith alone, the Trinity--those were defined and refined when conflict arose and church councils were convened: Jerusalem, Nicaea, Calcedon, etc. So you are in very good company when you have to respond to criticism, even though the harsh words directed toward you sting.
    Hang in and be wise--God is gracious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the best. I love children.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ten. Years.

Grew up in a small town - And when the rain would fall down - I'd just stare out my window - Dreaming of what could be - And if I'd end up happy - I would pray Trying hard to reach out - But when I tried to speak out - Felt like no one could hear me - Wanted to belong here - But something felt so wrong here - So I prayed I could break away I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly - I'll do what it takes til' I touch the sky - I'll make a wish - Take a chance - Make a change - And breakaway - Out of the darkness and into the sun - But I won't forget all the ones that I love - I'll take a risk - Take a chance - Make a change - And breakaway ( Kelly Clarkson, Breakaway ) 10 years ago, this month, I graduated from Prairiland High School. (And yes, I spelled that right- according to our school, anyways.) At times I can't really wrap my mind around that particular thought...Then at other times, it feels as though it could have been 20

Saturday Morning

I have a play list on my iPod titled "Saturday Morning Cleaning." When my sisters and I were growing up, Saturday morning was spent cleaning. No questions asked. Bottom line. Purple suit and all. Oh wait. You don't know about the purple suit. I'll explain further down. We'd get to sleep in until mom and dad deemed enough, at which point they would turn on the stereo system and play praise and worship music and come wake us up. Mom or dad would have cooked us a breakfast of either pancakes, eggs, waffles, bacon, or breakfast tacos (a treat, considering M-F was normally cereal, oatmeal, etc) and on the table would be "The List" Sometimes we'd get "The List" before breakfast and sometimes after. Because, really....who wants to ruin a perfectly good breakfast with "The List." (I have to interject, even as I'm writing this...I'm just remembering how incredible my childhood was. Seriously. I had the best childhood a

Opening a Conversation

I'd like to open a conversation with you. I've read 2 articles recently that have got me thinking. And a blog is one way to open a conversation that invites response, yes? So here goes. If you leave a comment- make sure to click the button that says "email follow up responses" so you can stay part of the convo. (I know, blogspot needs to get better about this, but for now- just click the box.) Here is article number 1: http://www.relevantmagazine.com/digital-issue/53?page=66 Here is article number 2: http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/27/why-young-christians-arent-waiting-anymore/ There is a new show coming up on TLC called something like "The Virgin Diaries" or something. I have to say. I've watched the preview clips and it is mortifying and embarrassing. If I were 15 and watching- I'd say "Find me the closest guy and let's get it on!" in attempts to not let that be my story. They have made the clips downright horrifyi