Skip to main content

Valentine's Day

This is probably a statement you will not hear from many single girls, but Valentine's Day is one of my favorite holidays.

Maybe it's the red, pink, and white colors all put together. Maybe it's the reminder that love IS out there, or maybe it's just another excuse to get together with some of my favorite girls. But either way- February 14th has been a favorite day of mine the past 4 years. ( I have to admit- this blog post is inspired because Starbucks just put out some of the most ADORABLE Valentine's mugs and tumblers.)

The past 4 years, on Valentine's Day, I've invited several single girls over to my place for dinner. They are given this message: If you can come, I need to know for certain because several things throughout the evening will be personalized to and for you. But. If you commit and then are asked out with a BOY- you have my blessing and my encouragement to GO ON THAT DATE!

I cook a super fancy meal, an extravagant dessert (um, last year included a 14 layer cake), and lots of other pink, red, and white details.

Gone are the days of THIS single girl sitting at home on a Valentine's Day drowning herself in a pint of ice cream while watching chick flicks that make a girl even MORE depressed.

It's more fun to celebrate the day with good friends, good food, and heck. If you're gonna eat the calories that night anyways, enjoy them with a good meal and good friends. :-)

Are you a single girl? What do you do for Valentine's day?

Comments

  1. OH you kindred spirit.

    my favvvvve too. :o)

    and to answer your possibly rhetorical question, i've stumbled upon this precious tradition that i gleefully look forward to every year.

    it seems the Lord likes to put on my heart a gal each year whom needs to be bombarded with love...maybe who just went through a breakup or has bad memories of that day? i scheme a secret attack of her bedroom in said colors...chocolate and scriptures hanging from the ceiling with fun ribbons...sticky notes...flowers...mugs...whatever i can pull of on my budget. haha. LOVE it. i've already begun scheming this year. muahaha.

    thanks for fueling this year's inspiration.

    DUDE! this year i have PINTEREST!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even when I was single, V-day was one of my favorites. I have great memories with my family celebrating when I was growing up.

    Happy Valentine's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ten. Years.

Grew up in a small town - And when the rain would fall down - I'd just stare out my window - Dreaming of what could be - And if I'd end up happy - I would pray Trying hard to reach out - But when I tried to speak out - Felt like no one could hear me - Wanted to belong here - But something felt so wrong here - So I prayed I could break away I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly - I'll do what it takes til' I touch the sky - I'll make a wish - Take a chance - Make a change - And breakaway - Out of the darkness and into the sun - But I won't forget all the ones that I love - I'll take a risk - Take a chance - Make a change - And breakaway ( Kelly Clarkson, Breakaway ) 10 years ago, this month, I graduated from Prairiland High School. (And yes, I spelled that right- according to our school, anyways.) At times I can't really wrap my mind around that particular thought...

Saturday Morning

I have a play list on my iPod titled "Saturday Morning Cleaning." When my sisters and I were growing up, Saturday morning was spent cleaning. No questions asked. Bottom line. Purple suit and all. Oh wait. You don't know about the purple suit. I'll explain further down. We'd get to sleep in until mom and dad deemed enough, at which point they would turn on the stereo system and play praise and worship music and come wake us up. Mom or dad would have cooked us a breakfast of either pancakes, eggs, waffles, bacon, or breakfast tacos (a treat, considering M-F was normally cereal, oatmeal, etc) and on the table would be "The List" Sometimes we'd get "The List" before breakfast and sometimes after. Because, really....who wants to ruin a perfectly good breakfast with "The List." (I have to interject, even as I'm writing this...I'm just remembering how incredible my childhood was. Seriously. I had the best childhood a ...

The one about the next chapter

#MindaOnTheMove 4.5 years ago, I made the “ fifteen minute drive north ” to Washington, DC from Tallahassee, Florida. And yes, if you’re thinking that seems a little short, you are right and should click on the hyperlink to see that story. I drove into the city having just lost all of my personal belongings in a fire, but ready to start fresh in a new city. I didn’t know how long I’d be in DC, didn’t know if it would be the right fit for me, and had no idea the twists and turns that would follow. All I knew is that I was headed to DC and it was the right place at the right time for me. Four and a half years and countless stories later, I’m making another ‘fifteen minute drive north.” Except it’s not fifteen minutes, it’s west and north, and it's about 9 hours away. I’m moving to Michigan! On May 9 th , after a really frustrating day, I left work a little early, laced up my tennis shoes and went for a run on the National Mall. I stopped and decided to take a nap ...