Skip to main content

The one with the good plan

Many of you know for the past three years I've been sending out a morning text containing a 'verse of the day.' This morning was no different. I read, and the particular passage I was in today didn't really have a verse that I would constitute being one of those 'encouraging' type verses. (see James 5:1-6 and you will understand why)

As I was finishing up I sat back in  my couch and sighed. One of those deep, 'who-knew-I-had-so-much-breath-in-me' type sighs. I just said aloud "What verse should I send today?"

Now, this isn't the way it happens most mornings. Normally a verse will jump off the page while I'm reading. Or there will be a quickening inside my heart. (I know it's kooky(sp?) to some people to write about how the Lord speaks to me- but for the sake of today's post- just know- He speaks in all different ways. But bottom line....He speaks.) So today, I just asked. What verse should I send.

Immediately, a verse came to mind and I looked down and my bible was open to the particular verse. (remember, i was in James...which is NOT where today's verse came from.)

I sighed. That verse. 

I should also note: as I was about to begin this particular blog post, I was reminded of a previous post I'd written back in 2009. I went to find and re-read it- and was stumped. What is it about this verse that has made me shrug it off for so long?!

The verse: Jeremiah 29:11.

In the three years I've been sending out the morning verse of the day (VOTD) text messages, I have not once sent this verse. 

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord. "Plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." 

Why have I resisted using this verse? 3 years of morning verses....and NOT ONCE this verse. 

I think it was WAYYYY over-used and over-quoted in my middle school and high school days. It was the one verse everyone used. More often than not- the ONLY one most people my age knew. It was the one youth pastors preached on. It was the one senior pastors would encourage the youth with. It was the one discussed in bible study. If you were to go to a 'youth rally'....it was the one spoken about. 

And don't get me wrong. The verse is strong. The verse is Truth. And in middle school and high school- I NEEDED that verse to hold on to. I needed to know that God had a plan for my life. I needed to know HE knew the plans. 

But I'm reminded this morning, I still need to know: He knows the plans. And they are good. They are to give me HOPE. They are to give me a future. 

I was talking to my friend Amy last night and said "At this stage of my life, I am more confident than I've ever been before that His plans for me are good. More confident and able to trust His plan rather than my own."

That was an overwhelming feeling to be able to say that. Not sure at any time in my life, more than now, I've felt so confident in HIS plan.

If you need to be reminded today that His plan for you is good. Take comfort today. He knows the plans. You might not know them yet. But He does. And they are good. He will give you hope. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ten. Years.

Grew up in a small town - And when the rain would fall down - I'd just stare out my window - Dreaming of what could be - And if I'd end up happy - I would pray Trying hard to reach out - But when I tried to speak out - Felt like no one could hear me - Wanted to belong here - But something felt so wrong here - So I prayed I could break away I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly - I'll do what it takes til' I touch the sky - I'll make a wish - Take a chance - Make a change - And breakaway - Out of the darkness and into the sun - But I won't forget all the ones that I love - I'll take a risk - Take a chance - Make a change - And breakaway ( Kelly Clarkson, Breakaway ) 10 years ago, this month, I graduated from Prairiland High School. (And yes, I spelled that right- according to our school, anyways.) At times I can't really wrap my mind around that particular thought...Then at other times, it feels as though it could have been 20

Saturday Morning

I have a play list on my iPod titled "Saturday Morning Cleaning." When my sisters and I were growing up, Saturday morning was spent cleaning. No questions asked. Bottom line. Purple suit and all. Oh wait. You don't know about the purple suit. I'll explain further down. We'd get to sleep in until mom and dad deemed enough, at which point they would turn on the stereo system and play praise and worship music and come wake us up. Mom or dad would have cooked us a breakfast of either pancakes, eggs, waffles, bacon, or breakfast tacos (a treat, considering M-F was normally cereal, oatmeal, etc) and on the table would be "The List" Sometimes we'd get "The List" before breakfast and sometimes after. Because, really....who wants to ruin a perfectly good breakfast with "The List." (I have to interject, even as I'm writing this...I'm just remembering how incredible my childhood was. Seriously. I had the best childhood a

Opening a Conversation

I'd like to open a conversation with you. I've read 2 articles recently that have got me thinking. And a blog is one way to open a conversation that invites response, yes? So here goes. If you leave a comment- make sure to click the button that says "email follow up responses" so you can stay part of the convo. (I know, blogspot needs to get better about this, but for now- just click the box.) Here is article number 1: http://www.relevantmagazine.com/digital-issue/53?page=66 Here is article number 2: http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/27/why-young-christians-arent-waiting-anymore/ There is a new show coming up on TLC called something like "The Virgin Diaries" or something. I have to say. I've watched the preview clips and it is mortifying and embarrassing. If I were 15 and watching- I'd say "Find me the closest guy and let's get it on!" in attempts to not let that be my story. They have made the clips downright horrifyi